For my friends and familys amusement and edification

HomeFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Curly's a little better with html

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Thump

PostSubject: Curly's a little better with html   Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:42 pm

He called me over to guide him a little while he did some stuff on the littleshopofgames website and I had to tell him most of it but he did it pretty well. Then I got home and looked at it on the net and he'd already screwed it up before he and I made the changes. I fixed it back good enough and put the page back up. I don't know for sure what he's doing but I think he's using the AOL browser to download the source code and it's messing it up. I can't think what else it could be. All the code is being squished together so you can't find the seperate parts to work on.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.thumpnet.com
rockhump

PostSubject: Curly's a little better with html   Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:42 am

You should download him Mozilla 3 and make him try it for html work. I think you told me before but is he actually using AOL dialup or do they have a broadband service?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thump

PostSubject: Re: Curly's a little better with html   Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:05 pm

I'm trying to get him to use Internet Explorer to look at the pages and right click for the source code and it should open in notepad and not be screwed up. I have him do all editing in notepad.

I've got him using Firefox to put any pages or images up on the site and taught it the name and password so he doesn't have to try and do that.
IE and notepad for writing html, Firefox to go to the Control Panel.
I don't know what it would open with if he sourced the code with the AOL browser, probably something proprietary and is the likely culprit. I'm not positive that's what's screwing up the pages but I bet it is, he uses the
AOL browser all the time and probably forgets to open IE to get the source. If that's not it we need to find out what the hell he is doing that screws it up. I don't think it's our server 'cause not all of the pages are screwed up.

He's had broadband for at least three years and was paying AOL $26 a month at the same time. I kept sending him articles about how he can keep his e-mail where he says all his business contacts know to write him and recognize his mail. I sent him one Monday and another Tuesday and he called me Tuesday after I sent it and said "I closed out that old AOL account yesterday, don't be sending me that shit no more. I figured what's the use in me paying that $26 every month."
Lightning finally struck.

Thump
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.thumpnet.com
rockhump

PostSubject: Curly's a little better with html   Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:19 am

Congrads to Curly. His eyes have been opened! No offense to you Granny regarding AOL but there's certainly no reason for anyone to pay for broadband and AOL at the same time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jeanhump

PostSubject: eagles nest fl   Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:17 am

I only have aol and I talked them into letting me have as long as I wanted it for $9.95 per month. They charge my credit card each month. They wanted to go up to $11.99 if I wanted to keep using their tech advice on the phone. Since I wasn't using it anyway, I told them to keep mine at the agreed rate, so they did.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thump

PostSubject: Re: Curly's a little better with html   Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:14 pm

I'm glad to hear you kept the lowest rate available. You get
something out of it but Curly wasn't even using their dialup
and had never negotiated his price down. He said he was
paying $26 for nothing but to use the mail and they give
that away free now to try and get people to come and see
the ads they have up, they mostly sell the ads by how many
people view them.
Back to top Go down