Share | 

I need your help!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bibi

PostSubject: I need your help!   Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:50 pm

Hi Tommy.
I often get emails that I can't open because they have the following:

"This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel."

I don't know how to "create an association,".......could you help me? (I'm computer illiterate to say the least!).

Bibi
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thump

PostSubject: Re: I need your help!   Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:27 pm

Bibi wrote:
Hi Tommy.
I often get emails that I can't open because they have the following:

"This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel."

I don't know how to "create an association,".......could you help me? (I'm computer illiterate to say the least!).

Bibi
I'll try to explain it but you may not have your computer set to show you what it is.

All files are of a type and it's usually at the end of the name and is usually three letters
(but not always) For instance mystory.txt would be a text file 'cause it's represented by
.txt Most web pages end in either .htm or more recently .html
You have to know what the ending is before you know what to open it with.
Usually a .txt file will open with notepad unless you've changed it to open with something
else. Your computer should already know that and it knows to open files ending in .html
with a browser, usually Internet Explorer unless you've installed something like AOL
that takes possession of all your .html files and is considered to be "associated" with
.html files

So the first thing you need to know is the ending or what the ending is before you can
figure out what to use to open it. You may not know what to open them with even
after you see what type of file it is but you can ask me or maybe find it with Google.
So if you'll tell me what the ending is, (the file extension, .something) and we can figure
out what to open it with then you can proceed.
If you already know what type of file and what to open it with then you can right click
whatever it is and choose "Open with" from the menu and choose the correct program
to open it with.

Probably too complicated an explanation to understand but the next time you have the
problem copy the name of what you can't open and post it here or e-mail it to me and I'll
try to tell you what to open it with and explain again how to choose.

Thump
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.thumpnet.com
Bibi

PostSubject: Re: I need your help!   Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:21 pm

Hi Tommy,
Thanks for your reply. Of course I have erased all the emails that I couldn't get and so I'll have to wait for another one to come in. I may not understand what to do but at least that's a start in the right direction. I printed off your instructions and will try to follow them. So, thanks again. I am going to Myrtle Beach on Sunday for a week so you won't be hearing from me for a few days.
Bibi
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thump

PostSubject: Re: I need your help!   Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:39 pm

That wasn't very good, I just rambled but when you get one bring it here or mail it and
we'll start from there to find out what to open it with. It could be something that you
don't have a program installed that can open it. We'll have to see what it is the first
thing.

Whick version of Windows do you currently have? It might help me to know in the
future so I'd know what something is supposed to look like or how you do certain
things.

Have a good time in Myrtle, hope this cold front passes on through for your visit.

Thump
Back to top Go down
Bibi

PostSubject: Re: I need your help!   Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:18 pm

Hi Tommy,
My version of Windows is XP. Hope it's warm at Myrtle Beach too....however, my beach days are long gone...I just go along to lounge around and eat! Age does that to you! Talk to you soon.
Bibi
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rockhump

PostSubject: I need your help!   Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:51 pm

Good tutorial Thump! Have a nice trip Bibi.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thump

PostSubject: Re: I need your help!   Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:47 pm

I guess Bibi is going to sleep in Myrtle Beach tonight. It's getting colder and colder
down here, I guess it's a cold front. I hope she can enjoy it anyway.

Thump
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I need your help!   

Back to top Go down

I need your help!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Thump's Place FL :: General Discussion :: Anything-
Jump to: