For my friends and familys amusement and edification

HomeFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Hooking up Our New TV

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Thump

PostSubject: Hooking up Our New TV   Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:04 pm

It's been sitting here a week now with nothing done. Helen hit Curly up to install it and I just
smiled and waited. But Helen never moved any of her stuff out of the way and it didn't
happen. I moved part of the stuff yesterday and the rest this moring and pulled the cabinet
out so I could take it loose. It'd probably work if I just hooked it back the way it was but I
expect we don't need the S-connection adapter anymore. I don't really know why the old
TV needed that anyway but I remember it did. That's how the DVD player is hooked up.
S-video sucks but I'm pretty sure we needed it. Rock got it and hooked it up that way.
My shoulder's a little sore from something I already did but I'm going to go ahead and
take the old TV out after I rest it awhile. It's one heavy TV.

Thump
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.thumpnet.com
jeanhump

PostSubject: new TV   Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:13 am

Why is everyone getting a new TV all at once?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thump

PostSubject: Re: Hooking up Our New TV   Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:56 am

I didn't know anybody else did. If it seems like a trend maybe it's because prices have come
down so much.

Helen likes to get movies and watch them on TV and most of the ones she wants to see comes
in widescreen now and were much smaller on our old TV with just black at the top and
bottom. She's been looking at 32 inch ones for a couple of years and I believe the $500 price
tag was where she decided to buy. There's a few around cheaper but it's a Sony and looks
like a nice TV.

I didn't have anything to do with it but I'm pretty excited now that I found out it has a
connection for a computer and I hope to have one hooked up to it soon. I have the computer
ready for it but no place to put it. I was just looking at it a few minutes ago and I believe
there's room behind the flat screen TV for it to sit but it'd be hard to get to to put in a
DVD or something.

Our old one is 17 years old now and works fine but would need a converter box if we didn't
have cable. It's a 26 inch CRT and was on sale at Walmart for $279. It weighs about 100 pounds,
about twice what the new one weighs. The new one should use quite a bit less electrity to.

It's got 17 little round holes in the back to plug things, plenty but too many to be easy to
figure out so I just hooked the adapter into the cable hookup instead of hunting the right holes.

Thump
Back to top Go down
rockhump

PostSubject: Hooking up Our New TV   Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:56 am

So what's the status Thump? You get it hooked up? Picture look good?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thump

PostSubject: Re: Hooking up Our New TV   Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:58 am

Yeah, I got it hooked up and a screen came up saying first setup and had an OK button on
the screen but I didn't have a mouse or a enter key so I called Curly. He found a button on
the top that started it just like an enter key would and then sat down on the couch and
folded his arms and said they set themeselves up now and it did, hunted all the stations and
then was ready.

Some channels look nice, the HD channels look better (The other TV didn't even know they
were there) even though we don't have HD.

I almost bought a wireless keyboard and mouse set but noticed one of the comments that said it
only worked within 6 feet. That's not to flexible so I didn't. I'll keep looking.

Thump
Back to top Go down
jeanhump

PostSubject: new TV's   Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:22 am

Bernice just got a new TV. She was thrilled to death with the deal but now that her son has hooked it up, the thrill is gone. She says the settings are aggravating and she can't adjust it to suit herself. Sounded about like something you said, like "part of the screen black".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rockhump

PostSubject: Hooking up Our New TV   Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:18 am

"Some channels look nice, the HD channels look better (The other TV didn't even know they
were there) even though we don't have HD."

Yeah, without an HD converter box, you aren't really get true HD. You may have some channels on there that are the same, i.e., local channels in analog and the same ones in digital. Of course, there won't be any more analog channels come February something but the digital channels look alot better than analog. I like to flip back and forth on say HBO HD and HBO digital just to show the differences. It really is amazing.

I hope Ma is enjoying it!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jeanhump

PostSubject: television   Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:36 pm

I don't have hi def. I don't reckon I need it. Embarc said I would still get my regular programs. I don't get many chanels and only use 3 of those. CBS, NBC, and ABC. I watch about 2 hours per week, so I really wonder if it is worth the price, since it has gone from $12 to $18 per month in the last year. I spend my money on books, which I prefer anyway. In fact I just got back from Mr K's which sells 2nd hand books which also allows you to trade your books back in.
Your TV sound like a good one, with a lot of extras.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hooking up Our New TV   

Back to top Go down

Hooking up Our New TV
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1